Thursday, April 23, 2009

Mommy and Miss Ella have reunited!

I was released from the hospital this morning, and I'm enjoying every minute gazing at my beautiful baby girl! She is just a precious gift from God!
She's doing great in the CVICU. Her nurses are very pleased with how well she is doing. We are all very proud of her!
We talked to Ella's cardiologist this afternoon and learned that there will be a discussion about the route to take with her upcoming surgery. As mentioned before, she has a "variant" of HLHS. The doctors performed an echocardiogram on Ella soon after she arrived at Children's last night. The echo confirmed what was diagnosed in-utero, and provided additional information. Evidently, her left ventricle is not severely underdeveloped, nor is the mitral valve. However, she has coarctation of the aorta (a narrowed aorta) and her aortic valve is too small. So now the team has to determine whether to go the single ventricle route (treat her as a HLHS patient, which means 3-staged surgeries) or they will take another approach that would reconstruct the aorta and expect the left ventricle to fully function and they would hope that it can do the job of supporting her. If they chose the second route, which would allow her to have a four chamber heart, there are definite risks and complications involved . I remember the cardiologist from Cook Children's telling me that a "two ventricle heart is not neccessarily better than a single ventricle heart". Needless to say, this is a decision that will take a team of doctors a good amount of time to discuss and determine the what will provide the best possible outcome for Ella.
Please pray that she continues to do well in the CVICU. As soon as a decision is made regarding the surgery, I will let you know.
Love to all,
The Morrison Family

7 comments:

  1. Hi I am Lori a mommy to a heart baby as well. You can see her story on her blog. You blog was forwarded to me thru a family member who knows someone you know. (i think) I Justed wanted you to know that I will be praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please let me know if there is anything we can do! I mean anything at all! I love you girl. I am so happy that you are there with your precious little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to hear that Miss Ella is doing so well. She has been in my thoughts and prayers. I am anxiously awaiting some pictures! Stay strong and know you have a family here ready to do anything and everything to help. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't mean to delete my comment! SOrry! I am so happy to hear that Miss Ella is doing well! I can't wait to see her! I will continue to keep your family in my prayers! Love you all!
    Tana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abe and Addy,

    I'm so happy to hear that Ella is here and doing so well!! I'm praying for all of you as the doctors decide which route to go. May the Lord bless you with His peace during this time. Rest in Him and His perfect love!

    Lois "Grammy" Faulk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only you could look so good and have such a big grin in the face of everything! I love the pictures, and have thought and prayed about you guys many times over the last few days. Also, I can't believe how big Grady has gotten. I believe Gale's daughter was born with a one chambered heart....

    Take care of yourselves. I will keep watching for updates.

    ReplyDelete